Books recommendations for All Kids and Children Should Read at ages: 7 to 9, 10 to 12, and 12 plus
In the enchanting realm of children’s literature, finding the perfect book tailored to a child’s age and interests can spark a lifelong love for reading. As a parent, it’s always a joy to discover books that not only captivate your child’s imagination but also impart valuable life lessons.
Book Recommendations for All Kids Should Read
Today, I’m excited to share my top seven book recommendations for three distinct age groups: 7 to 9, 10 to 12, and 12 plus. These selections have been tried and tested by my own kids, aged 10 and 13, who have not only loved but revisited these literary wonders multiple times.
You can also read UK Culture and Tradition: Lifestyle, Higher Education, Cuisine
Books for Ages 7 to 9 Years Old Children:
Elephant and Piggie Series by Mo Willems:
- Ideal for early readers with simple vocabulary and delightful illustrations.
- Each book contains life lessons, making them both entertaining and educational.
- Perfect for cultivating a love for reading from a young age.
The Story Treehouse Series by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton:
- Chronicles the adventures of two boys living in a treehouse with unique and whimsical features.
- Recommended for 7 to 8-year-olds with humorous illustrations on every page.
Mr. Lemoncello’s Library Series by Chris Grabenstein:
- Follows Kyle and his friends as they embark on exciting challenges in a remarkable library.
- An engaging read for 9 to 10-year-olds who enjoy fun and mystery.
The Story of Diva and Flea by Mo Willems:
- A beautifully illustrated tale set in Paris, exploring the unlikely friendship between a pampered dog and a street cat.
- Encourages curiosity, boldness, and the importance of true friendships.
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White:
- A touching story about friendship and life on a farm, introducing children to deeper emotions in a real-world context.
- Essential for emotional development, especially for kids whose exposure to animals is often through virtual means.
Books by David Walliams:
- Brilliantly funny and engaging books with themes that resonate with kids.
- Touches on darker topics, making them suitable for older children or to be read together with younger ones.
Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls by Elena Favilli and Francesca Cavallo:
- Inspiring one-page stories of influential women across various fields.
- Encourages children to dream big and believe in themselves.
Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
- In the magical world of wizards, Harry Potter battles dark forces.
- Friendship, courage, daring, and enchanting adventures in seven spellbinding books.
You can also read the UK Education and Grading System
Book Recommendation for Kids Ages 10 to 12:
Pax by Sara Pennypacker:
- Explores the journey of a boy and a fox separated from each other, emphasizing the bond between humans and animals.
- Offers an emotional roller coaster with an unexpected yet impactful ending.
Wonder by R.J. Palacio:
- Follows the life of a 10-year-old boy with an unusual face as he navigates the challenges of fitting in at school.
- Promotes the values of kindness and acceptance.
The Ghost Who Pinched Me by Mabel Gan:
- Set during the war between Singapore and Japan, this story follows a tween girl facing both typical and extraordinary challenges.
- Explores themes of family, loss, and resilience.
Theodore Boone Series by John Grisham:
- Features a young boy who, while not technically a lawyer, solves crimes and helps his community.
- Empowers children to pursue their aspirations, showcasing that age is not a barrier to making a difference.
Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan:
- A captivating series about a demigod, Percy Jackson, and his adventures battling Greek monsters.
- A must-read for children worldwide, combining mythology with modern-day elements.
Keeper of the Lost Cities Series by Shannon Messenger:
- Follows the journey of a girl with telepathic abilities who discovers a hidden world of powerful elves.
- Ideal for readers who enjoy fantasy, adventure, and thrilling mysteries.
The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer:
- A fantasy series that reimagines classic fairy tales, featuring dragons, fairies, kings, and queens.
- Perfect for bedtime reading and lovers of fairy tales.
Books for Ages 12 Plus:
A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron:
- Offers a poignant exploration of life through the perspective of a dog with multiple lives.
- Teaches the importance of finding purpose and the impact of our connections.
Nancy Drew Files by Carolyn Keene:
- A modernized version of the classic Nancy Drew, featuring an 18-year-old Nancy navigating danger and mystery.
- Ideal for readers who enjoy thrilling detective stories.
Sapiens: A Graphic Novel Adaptation by Yuval Noah Harari:
- Simplifies the complex concepts of the original Sapiens for young readers through engaging graphics.
- Explores human evolution and the unique characteristics of Homo sapiens.
The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner:
- Follows the story of a group of boys trapped in a maze, unraveling mysteries and facing challenges.
- A gripping and sometimes intense series that keeps readers on the edge of their seats.
The Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan:
- A continuation of the Percy Jackson series, introducing new characters and exploring the clash of demigod camps.
- Emphasizes teamwork and facing larger threats.
Run, Hide, Seek Trilogy by Gabby Tye:
- A thrilling story set in post-apocalyptic Singapore where children must survive without adults.
- Written by a young author, it offers a unique perspective on survival and resilience.
The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer:
- A delightful continuation of the fantasy series, delving deeper into the fairy tale world with humor and excitement.
- Perfect for readers who enjoy a mix of adventure and reimagined fairy tales.
These carefully curated book recommendations span various genres and themes, ensuring that there’s a literary gem for every child’s taste and developmental stage. As children embark on these literary journeys, they not only enhance their reading skills but also absorb valuable life lessons, fostering creativity, empathy, and a lifelong love for learning. Happy reading!